Thursday, June 11, 2009

ENCOURAGE!!

Sunny, as some of you may know, can be tri-polar: Right Brain Introvert, Left Brain Introvert, and Left Brain Extrovert. He is pretty centered tri-polar, though, if that makes any sense! That said, he often gives me surprises (which I love!)! Like the other day, for example...

The other day (two days ago, I think?) I went out to play. He came to me, I haltered, and we friendlied. I decided "hmm, I'll try the circling game." So I did, and he started cantering around and pulling on the rope, which I was not expecting - I was expecting a walk. Well, make or teach no assumptions, right? :D I said, hmm... ok, let's see this again. He did the same thing. I took him into the round pen and let him off line, then gently asked him to go. He took off at a fast trot, so I encouraged him (something I learned at the Madison Parelli Celebration: encourage!!). Sunny wanted to change directions, so I said great! go! He wanted to canter and I was FLOORED! Offering to canter is really, really huge for him. Great! Canter, change direction! (At intervals he would stop and check in, as if to say, "Is this ok to do?" He was still very focused, with his body bent in a nice arc!) After a bit he looked at me (like Allure did to Linda) with his ears saying, "Well, now what do you want to do?" We did some stick to me at walk, trot, and backup (the first time I had really tried this at Liberty) and it was phenomenal!!! It was so awesome!!

I learned so much from the Celebration... I'm so glad Linda said, "It's ok - encourage him!" It felt wonderful, and I know he loved it. I think I've found another savvy arrow! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment